We all have that friend who was born knowing what they wanted to do. They spent their formative years planning and preparing for it – confident in the knowledge that it’s the career for them and it is surely only a matter of time before they land that dream job. But what about the rest of us who aren’t so sure? If you are starting to think about life beyond university and you’re asking yourself “what next?” then you are not alone, and there are things you can do to make the uncertain future seem less daunting.
- Clarify Ideas: Identify your interests and allow yourself to explore your curiosities
- Build Resilience: Find ways to break down barriers, rather than feeling trapped
- Positive Outlook: Embrace risk, keep an open mind and seek new experiences
- Expect the Unexpected: Be prepared for chance opportunities – e.g. unexpected encounters, impromptu conversations and new events or activities
- Take Action: Keep learning, develop skills, remain open to and follow up on chance events
Sometimes people just fall into a career and that’s OK. Others have a rough idea of what they enjoy, or what motivates them, and try out a few different occupations over the course of their lifetime. Everybody has a different career journey and there is no right or wrong.
It’s important to engage in a variety of interesting and beneficial activities, and to remain open
and alert to opportunities. If you do this, you are more likely to be able to capitalise on chance events and turn serendipity into opportunity. Recognise, create and use chance in your career planning. Create your own luck, don’t wait for it… When you are actively doing things, unexpected things happen. But when you do nothing, nothing is likely to happen!
The Careers Service offers you opportunities to talk to employers, through fairs and employer presentations; explore your skills and interests through workshops and skills sessions; and reflect on your experiences by doing the Bristol PLUS award.
Keep alert to opportunities, talk to people, take risks, make mistakes and put yourself out there!