Bristol Mentors 2020: Now open for applications

Bristol Mentors pairs successful student candidates with an alumni mentor who will provide careers support and guidance throughout the academic year. The programme is now open for applications for our 2020/21 cohort.

“Bristol Mentors was a really unique experience, primarily because of the attention to detail that had gone into its organisation and planning. It was clear that a lot of thought and effort had gone into ensuring that my peers and I were paired with someone who could really support us in our career aspirations.

As an aspiring barrister, I have often found it difficult to engage with those in the profession as I do not have any personal connections at the Bar. Bristol Mentors put me in contact with Sarah, who has been a wonderful role model and has taught me so much about the career path I am hoping to embark upon. I am also very fortunate that Sarah has continued to support me even though she has new mentees!

At the beginning of the year I was still somewhat unsure of what area of the law I was most interested in, but by the end of it I was in a much more certain position. This has meant I can now really focus on gaining the skills I need to enter and prepare for legal practice.

The programme didn’t just meet my expectations, it exceeded them ten-fold. The support and events that were run throughout the year felt special. It was fantastic to meet with other mentees and their mentors at our closing event at the end of the academic year and hear such positive feedback.

For anyone who is considering applying for the scheme I would say that you shouldn’t have to think twice! If you are committed to increasing your understanding of a profession, potentially gaining work experience, and building a strong mentor-mentee relationship you will thrive in the Bristol Mentors programme. I feel very fortunate to have been involved in this programme – it has been one of the most enriching extra-curricular activities that I have taken part in during my time at the University of Bristol.”

Bristol Mentors is a targeted programme of support and has eligibility criteria.

To find out more and to start your application contact alumni-mentoring@bristol.ac.uk