Work experience is any opportunity which gives you experience of work, or the non-academic skills that will prepare you for work. It can be paid or unpaid experience and is not necessarily related to your degree or your future career plans. This can include internships, summer vacation jobs, volunteering, insight events and shadowing as well as self-driven projects.
Good quality work experience should:
- Teach you new skills including professional behaviours.
- Highlight which skills you need.
- Let you explore a career idea.
- Connect you to people you could use as contacts in the future.
- Improve your understanding of that sector.
- Demonstrate your interest in that sector.
- Provide you with a reference.
We know that many of you have had your summer internships and work experience cancelled or are struggling to find opportunities.
Here are some ways we’d suggest you look for new opportunities for this summer.
- Check out paid internship and work experience opportunities on mycareer.
- Participate in the COVID-19 SME Internship Fund.
We launched this new internship fund to provide paid work experience of 4 weeks within Bristol-based small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). The aim of this fund is to support local organisations who are responding to the challenges of Coronavirus (COVID-19) (e.g. supporting those in the community or undertaking valuable research), providing opportunities for internships where you can make a difference.
- Look on myopportunities.
We’ve been working hard to gather a wide selection of remote or online opportunities that you can get involved in on myopportunities. From volunteering to supporting individuals affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19), to online internships, to helping to organise a virtual conference – there are so many ways you can develop your skills even whilst social distancing.
- Self-employment and working for yourself.
Our Basecamp Enterprise Team provides support to those interested in start-up and entrepreneurship.
If you’re struggling with writing applications, you’ll find some useful resources and events here to help.
Need more support? Ask us a question on mycareer.