At the Careers Service we know BAME students can face additional challenges to career thinking. This may include facing discrimination in recruitment practices, exploring career ideas when you don’t know what’s out there, or getting quality work experience with less developed networks.
To help level the playing field, we’ve compiled the best support and opportunities into one handy document over on mycareer.
We also send out live opportunities in our weekly Flying Start bulletin. Sign up to Flying Start now!
Here’s a taster of the support on offer…
Mentoring & Employability Programmes
- Bristol Mentors – learn from a Bristol graduate in your chosen sector. Opens in Spring for the following academic year.
- The Taylor Bennett Foundation – PR training, mentoring, and internship programmes.
- Rare Recruitment – programmes for Black heritage students to enter professions such as finance, law and consulting.
- SEO London – programmes in consulting law, corporates and technology, engineering, and finance.
- SME Internship Schemes – paid 4 week internships, including a source your own option. Available during term-time and holidays, full- and part-time.
- Creative Access – internships and jobs in media and the arts, open all year round.
- Civil Service Summer Diversity Internship Programme (middle years) and Early Diversity Internship Programme (first years) – both open now for next academic year.
- Diversity focused insight weeks (first years) – most commercial sectors, open September-March for the Easter or summer holidays.
Confused about work experience? Learn more about internships and work experience.
Widening Participation Summer Blog Series
- Extra careers support for students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds
- Extra careers support for LGBTQ+ students – 19 August
- Extra careers support for disabled students – September tbc