My SME Internship: Nada – Deki

A photo of Nada, smiling

Hi, I’m Nada, my internship role was as a Fundraising Research Assistant with the International Development charity, Deki. I contributed to the Fundraising Team primarily by conducting background research into Trusts and Foundations which was the basis for other team members to make grant applications.

What was your day-to-day like? 

The internship was part-time and remote. I worked 2-3 days a week. The role offered a lot of flexibility, and I was able to easily balance it with other part-time work commitments. My day generally consisted of research, using Trello and Excel to input information, and once a week a Zoom call to review the week’s progress. Working remotely in a new role can be a challenge, however, the team and my manager for the internship were very willing to help ease this by keeping communication lines open. 

What did you find interesting? 

As a recent Economics graduate, who particularly enjoyed Development Economics within my degree, it was great to get insight into Deki’s projects in Togo and the impact of their work. I had an understanding of development from economic theory, and it was fascinating to see how projects are designed to promote growth from a more practical perspective. 

The fundraising aspect of working in the development/charity sector was something I had not really considered and it was really interesting to see the amount of detail and work that goes into writing grant applications.  

Final thoughts?

The internship was a very valuable experience, and I would advise anyone to apply for the scheme. These are unique opportunities and allow you to develop your skills, in my case particularly communication and research. I am very grateful to Deki for the internship, and to the Careers Service for creating opportunities that can otherwise be difficult to access.

Interested in applying?

If you’re struggling with writing applications, you’ll find some useful resources and events here to help.  

Need more support? Get in touch via Live Chat on mycareer.