My IKEEP project with Albotherm

Through the IKEEP programme, students undertake an intrapreneurial training programme, equipping them with the skills and knowledge to work in industry through subsequent paid project placements with SMEs. 

Afrida, who is currently studying for a Master’s degree in Project Management, recently completed one of our IKEEP project placements with Albotherm and told us about her experience. 

Can you tell us about your IKEEP project?  

A photo of Afrida, smiling in the sunshine and leaning against a stone wall.

I secured a project placement with Albotherm; a start-up specializing in advanced material technology who have developed a groundbreaking solution that adjusts its opacity based on temperature, utilizing sunlight to cool buildings passively during hot weather conditions.  

The focus of my project was to facilitate the commercial market launch of this material and to provide insights into potential market integration for Albotherm’s technology. My responsibilities included exploring three key market segments: skylights for industrial warehouses, office windows, and glass facades for commercial buildings.

What new skills did you learn from doing IKEEP? 

During my placement at Albotherm, I delved into various aspects of the business, honing essential skills along the way. From conducting in-depth market research to forging connections with stakeholders, creating surveys, and tackling challenges head-on, each experience added layers to my entrepreneurial toolkit.

Navigating through obstacles demanded adaptability and resilience and these experiences have equipped me with a solid foundation and instilled in me the confidence to pursue my own entrepreneurial ventures in the future.  

What challenges did you overcome?  

The main challenge during the placement was collecting survey responses. Despite efforts to engage with over 40 construction companies, the response rate was disappointing. Recognising the urgency to gather insights, I turned to an alternative approach: conducting expert interviews.  

Embracing this change required adaptability and tested my resilience and problem-solving abilities. Navigating through setbacks with determination, I sought out experts in the field to gain valuable insights. This shift in approach allowed us to gather information and delve deeper into the industry landscape.  

A photo of Afrida smiling on the beach.

What would you say to other students considering enrolling in the IKEEP programme?  

As an international postgraduate student, juggling a busy one-year program, getting hands-on experience can be challenging, but IKEEP changed the game for me. The workshop sessions were super engaging and made the whole process of finding a placement feel less daunting. Plus, when it came time to apply what I learned during the placement, it all just clicked.  

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of organizations we could apply to. After some searching, I landed on one that perfectly matched my expertise. I sharpened my existing skills and picked up some new ones that I’m itching to put into action in my next professional adventure. So, if you’re after a real-world experience that is manageable alongside your studies, I’d give the IKEEP program a shot.  

Interested in the IKEEP programme?