Aamir: Barista, Volunteer, Bristol PLUS Achiever!

In 2021-22, 1111 students achieved the challenge of completing their Bristol PLUS Award, giving their CVs a boost and reflecting on the value of their extra-curricular experiences.  

We caught up with Aamir Mehmood, 2nd Year Biology BSc, to find out how he built up his 70 hours experience and achieved his PLUS Award.

A photo of Aamir, smiling
Aamir Mehmood, Bristol PLUS Award Achiever 2021-22

‘I have found out I am a lot more resourceful and resilient than I thought. I’m proud to have discovered this through my PLUS award experience’ 

Aamir achieved his 70 hours through working a part time job as a barista, and volunteering at Brandon Hill as a gardening volunteer.

‘I wanted to volunteer locally and find something where I could really make some difference, helping other members of my community keeping Brandon Hill pristine and looking its best was the most fun opportunity I found.’

Taking part in extra-curricular opportunities is a great way to broaden your horizons and gain new experiences – that’s why your PLUS Award rewards you for getting active outside your studies. 

Brandon Hill tower and park in Spring with blue sky and groups sitting on the grassI enjoyed the aspect where I met many new people that I wouldn’t have met through the usual university channels, all of which have lived in Bristol for a great portion of their lives, they’ve seen the city’s development first hand and wanted to preserve something that is of great significance to the community. I am happy that I played a part.’ 

Experience from anywhere in the world and from any point since the start of your course counts for PLUS, so you could already be building your hours. You can use hours you’ve completed during vacation periods, so if you’re doing extra-curricular activities over the summer, get rewarded with PLUS when the new term starts!

Check out mycareer and Bristol Hub for volunteering opportunities in Bristol, or check part time jobs listings on mycareer.

Registration for the PLUS Award will open in September 2022, register for an introductory talk from Welcome Week.

Get inspired with more PLUS stories from achievers