My SME Internship: Mengying – NuNano

The SME Internship Scheme enables you to gain quality, paid work experience from small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in the UK, including charities, social enterprises and start-ups.     

Mengying’s internship ran with funding from Bristol Innovations, here’s what she had to say about her experience: 

Mengying next to a red phone box

Hi, I’m Mengying, a current postgraduate student studying Management (International Human Resource Management).

I have just completed a Sales Internship with NuNano Ltd through the SME Internship Scheme, from January to April this year.  

NuNano is a company specialising in the design and manufacture of probes for atomic force microscopy and cantilever-based sensor devices.

The internship took place in their Bristol office, and I was responsible for approaching current clients in China, generating new sales leads, and promoting products to them.

My tasks were: 

1. contacting potential clients and distributors via email, phone and WeChat  
  2. creating and publishing social media posts
  3. translating commercial materials.

During the internship, I improved my communication skills in the cross-culture workplace, trying my best to bridge the gap between my English colleagues and Chinese clients. Having had a previous internship in China helped me a lot, this prepared me for making cold emails or cold calls. I also found myself skilful in content creation, from the business perspective, to target the right audience.  

One challenge would be building trust in cross-border transactions. Some clients showed interest in our products after receiving emails, but few placed orders. I attempted to convince them via offering discounted plans and finding more agencies in China to simplify the process, but it didn’t work well.  

My supervisor didn’t put pressure on me and always gave me autonomy when I put forward new ideas.

She showed full comprehension when I needed to adapt working hours around my studies. Other colleagues also showed respect and care to me, creating a comfortable working environment. Therefore, I would highly recommend NuNano as an employer. 

I encourage every international student who wants to gain work experience in the UK to apply for the SME Internship Scheme, because it is an efficient way to develop your professional skills and experience English workplace culture during your studies.

I believe this experience would make you stand out when seeking your first job after graduation. 

The Scheme is now closed for the summer but will be reopening in October, check out our website for more information, and details on how to participate.

If you have any questions about the scheme, or anything else relating to careers, you can speak to us on live chat.  

Read more blogs in our “My SME internship” series to hear about other SMEs that our students have worked with.  

A student smiling and pointing