Ever wished you had a career mentor?

Bristol Mentors is now open for applications for home UK students returning for study in 2024/25.

We caught up with Elena (Politics and Sociology BSc), one of two Bristol Mentors Student Associates about her experiences as a mentee on the programme.

“I was delighted to gain a place on Bristol Mentors last year. As the programme got closer, I knew I didn’t have a clear vision for how I wanted my future to look, and in truth I hoped someone would tell me exactly what I was supposed to pursue. The beauty of having a mentor is that whilst they can’t make those decisions for you, they can do a great deal to help you figure it out.

As I got to know my mentor, we discussed interests and avenues I was considering, allowing her to help me consider relevant opportunities and ideas. Throughout the year, I attended networking events and applied for summer programmes. If ever I felt I was out of my depth or imposter syndrome kicked in, I knew I had my mentor to guide me and cheer me on.

Image of Elena and her fellow Patchwork Masterclass cohort of students together with a backdrop of the city of London skyline.
Elena (bottom right) and her Patchwork Masterclass cohort 2023

Around this time last year, my mentor sent me a link for the Patchwork Masterclass programme, a year-long initiative bringing together prominent figures in politics with emerging young talents. After some guidance from my mentor, I sent in my application and secured a place for 2023. During my time on the Patchwork Masterclass programme, I learnt from leading figures in politics, accessed opportunities to work with politicians and political parties, and built many connections with like-minded people. Had my mentor not encouraged me to apply, I would have missed out on some amazing experiences.

Looking back now I see mentorship as a journey like a trail of falling dominos; one connection, one opportunity, one set of guidance, can set off a chain reaction that keeps you moving towards your potential.

Bristol Mentors provides successful student applicants with an alumni mentor working in the sector/industry they are aiming to break into.

Visit the Bristol Mentors webpage to check if you are eligible for a place on the Bristol Mentors programme.

If you have any questions or queries, contact the team on alumni-mentoring@bristol.ac.uk