My SME Internship: Cecilia – Bristol City of Sanctuary 

A photo of Cecilia smiling. She is smartly dressed and looks like she is at a conference.

Hi, I’m Cecilia. Having completed my internship at Bristol City of Sanctuary during my International Development MSc, I am filled with gratitude for the invaluable experiences and personal growth it has brought me. Working as a campaigns and communications intern in such a vibrant organisation has been an incredible opportunity, and I am excited to share some insights and highlights. 

My internship took place at Bristol City of Sanctuary, a non-profit organisation dedicated to creating a culture of welcome and inclusivity for asylum seekers in Bristol. Given the size of the organisations participating in the SME schemes, as an intern you can experience various facets of that organisation with support from all team members.  

During my time as a campaigns and communications intern, I had the privilege of working on diverse projects. My responsibilities ranged from managing the organisation’s social media accounts and monthly newsletters, to coordinating campaigns. These included the Transport Fund campaign, advocating for free bus travel for asylum seekers, and the Schools of Sanctuary awards, which recognises schools and organisations that show commitment to creating a culture of welcome for sanctuary seekers. Coordinating these campaigns involved fundraising, creating petitions, and arranging meetings.  

I also had the opportunity to organise and oversee the annual Schools of Sanctuary celebration, bringing together students, educators, and community members to celebrate inclusivity and promote understanding.  

After the official end of the SME scheme, Bristol City of Sanctuary decided to extend my internship for another two months. It was a great opportunity as it allowed me to gain more work experience and work towards a cause that I deeply care about. My advice for any other student is to not hold back from putting in extra effort, as it can lead to further opportunities. 

My internship provided me with a wealth of skills that will undoubtedly benefit me in my future career. I significantly improved my communication and writing skills by crafting engaging social media content and newsletters. I also gained experience in project management, event planning, and collaboration while coordinating the Transport Fund campaign and the Schools of Sanctuary event. These skills will undoubtedly serve me well as I continue to pursue a career in the non-profit sector. 

I would encourage fellow students to embrace opportunities that allow them to advocate for the causes they believe in. By using your skills to create positive change, you not only make a difference in the lives of others but also develop a deeper understanding of social issues and the role you can play in addressing them. This type of internship offers a unique opportunity to gain practical experience, develop new skills, and make a tangible impact in the community.  

The chance to work alongside passionate individuals who share your values is truly rewarding. I wholeheartedly recommend the SME scheme as a pathway to personal and professional growth. 

Want to be an SME Intern?

Find out more about the SME Internship Scheme and how to apply on our website

Check out our “My SME Internship” blog series to hear more student stories.  

If you have any questions about the scheme, writing your application, or anything else relating to careers you can speak to us on live chat, or pop into 5 Tyndall Avenue from Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4.30 pm during term time.  

SME Internship Scheme logo