Getting started with networking as a state school student

Some people have more experience of professional networking through personal contacts, but where do you start if you don’t have these existing connections?

Carlos is a second year Law student and Co-President of The 93% Club (UoB’s State School Society). In this blog, Carlos shares his experiences and advice for developing professional networks at university as a state school student. 

“It wasn’t until my second year at university and my role as co-president of The 93% Club that I truly grasped the importance of networking. For students like me, who don’t have family connections in high places, networking offers a crucial opportunity to connect with employers, learn about companies, and expand future career prospects. 

As a state-school student with a limited network before university, the idea of networking with employers seemed daunting. I vividly remember my first day of work experience at a commercial law firm during sixth form, feeling overwhelmed by corporate jargon and unsure of its significance for my career.   

Izabella and Carlos, Co-Presidents of The 93% Club Bristol

Networking isn’t just important; it’s vital for launching your career post-graduation. Networking is an opportunity to put your foot in the door, placing yourself on the same level as your peers.

Beyond just making introductions, networking is your chance to dive deep into the companies that pique your interest. It’s a window into their culture, their people, and the work they do. Plus, it’s a prime opportunity to expand your professional circle, opening doors to future opportunities you might never have imagined.  

Networking isn’t just important; it’s vital for launching your career post-graduation.

Networking is an opportunity to put your foot in the door, placing yourself on the same level as your peers. Beyond just making introductions, networking is your chance to dive deep into the companies that pique your interest. It’s a window into their culture, their people, and the work they do. Plus, it’s a prime opportunity to expand your professional circle, opening doors to future opportunities you might never have imagined.  

Growing your network means you could have people to help guide you through your career journey from providing application feedback to interview tips, the connections you make today can be an opportunity tomorrow. In the longer run, networking could help you develop once you’ve already put your foot in the industry.

At a recent networking event I attended, I spoke to a lawyer who now works at Amazon. When I asked her about how she secured her role, she spoke about the network she had built and the relationships she had maintained throughout her career, and how it ultimately got her the role. So, think of networking as an investment in your future. Every conversation, every connection, is like compound interest, growing and multiplying throughout your working life.

My experience with networking has been a long learning curve.

As a 17 year old student, I remember being chucked in the deep end during a Zoom breakout room with a partner at a big commercial firm and scrambling through a set of questions to impress them. But what questions do I ask? What even is commercial law? Why are people talking about IPOs? What is an IPO?! Networking really just seemed like an opportunity to worsen my imposter syndrome.  As others asked insanely professional questions, I felt as though I was stuck thinking about the basics. This is a position many people find themselves in when they first start networking.

Here are a few things I learnt along the way.  

Firstly, remember that employees attending networking events are genuinely interested in helping students like you.

Approach conversations confidently, knowing that they were once in your shoes and understand your perspective. 

Do your research!

Before you go to any networking event, know who is attending and from where and make sure your questions are specific for those individuals.

This will not only make you stand out but will provide you with an even deeper level of understanding of a company than the information you had initially found online.

For example, instead of asking a law firm what their specialisms are (information you could find online), do your research and ask them about a specific client deal they had worked on recently and the challenges they faced.

This is just one example of how doing your research could ultimately make a huge difference! 

A 93% Club Bristol's networking event

Finally, don’t be afraid to show your personality.

While discussing work-related topics is important, don’t hesitate to share your interests and experiences. Talking about application cycles and what a company does etc can be incredibly repetitive for employers, so sometimes moving away from those conversations may not always be a bad thing! For example, during a recent networking event, my co-president and I were speaking to some lawyers and slightly veered off the typical conversation path. We ended up discussing celebrities and funny encounters, which although was almost barely related to the legal industry, leaves a lasting impression on both the employees and us. 

Networking, therefore, is not a specific set of rules you need to follow. People network in different ways, and as state-schoolers the experiences you bring to the table can be just as important as the knowledge you have about a specific industry. Take networking as a chance to meet new friends, an opportunity to grant you endless possibilities just through speaking and you’re basically there! “