My SME Internship: Regina – WeTrack

A photo of Regina, smiling.I am very grateful to have been offered an internship opportunity through the SME Internship Scheme.

As an international student, I spent three months searching for a graduate job in the UK after I finished my one-year master’s programme. I found the challenges and competition higher than ever in the wake of the global pandemic. Thus, I applied for internship vacancies on the Careers Service website to enhance my employability in the local market.

I found a role as an Account Setup and Support Intern at WeTrack. WeTrack is a start-up company that uses project management software developed in-house to improve the planning and operations of sports events, venues, federations and organisations in the UK and the rest of the world.

To kick off my first week, I was introduced to a variety of software applications used for their business and customer support, for example, Intercom and Confluence. I also had an induction into event operations and working with clients.

The WeTrack logo, reads 'WeTrack.'

Apart from acquiring this essential knowledge, I also shadowed my colleagues in client meetings to learn about clients’ needs, which led to my three major projects:

• Proposal for customer success in WeTrack
  • Proposal for the client referral programme
  • Designing and creating pre-training material for clients

While working on the above projects, I updated clients’ records on systems and provided customer support on live chat. Guidance from the staff was very helpful and significant to my success in this position.

Picture of a slide, reads 'Creating Tasks (6 steps).'
A slide of the pre-training material for clients.

Throughout the one-month internship, I enriched my knowledge and skills as follows:

• B2B software as a service
  • Account management
  • Communication skills, including presentation
  • Creating digital learning material
  • Research and analytical skills
  • Collaboration skills as a team
  • Various business software applications.

A couple of tips I would give to help you maximise the positive experience of your internship:

• Establish goals to achieve for the employer and yourself, and review them regularly
  • Communicate with your colleagues, for example, share opinions, goals and learning needs and ask for any support that you need
  • Follow the company’s brand guidance when making slides for presentation
  • Ask for feedback about your internship and share your experience with your employer in return
  • Keep in touch with the staff after the internship, using LinkedIn and email.

A smiling student.Get involved

Inspired by Regina’s experience?

We are currently advertising internship opportunities on mycareer.

If you would like support with writing applications, you’ll find some useful resources and events here to help.

Need more support? Get in touch via Live Chat on mycareer.