Violet: Student Leader, drag artist, and PLUS achiever!

Bristol PLUS Award achiever and Outstanding PLUS Award nominee Violet Allmark achieved her 70 hours of PLUS activity through working as a freelance drag performer and taking on a student leadership role as chair of Bristol Theatre Department Society InterACT. 

Violet was a freelance performer with drag cabaret ‘The House of Savalon’ during their residency at award-winning Bristol LGBTQ+ venue Queenshilling, proud sponsors of Bristol University LGBTQ+ society. 

A photo of Violet performing in a drag show
Violet performing as Etta Boy, at The House of Savalon

‘My freelance work, as part of the House of Savalon’s three month residency at Queenshilling, gave me the opportunity to develop my artistic costume-making practice, and improve my time management and organisational skills. I spent hours preparing for my acts: sourcing, making and editing my own costumes, props and audio. 

In addition, the regular feedback sessions enhanced my personal reflection skills on my own performances as well as my communication skills through constructive feedback

A crow of people in drag on a stage cheering
The House of Savalon at the Queen Shilling

Kickstarting my drag career this year has led to such amazing performance opportunities, such as performing last week before Divina de Campo at the Creative Youth Network Station and even internationally in Woody’s Bar Toronto, where I was tipped during my performance by a queen recently announced to be on Season 3 of Canada Drag Race and I was even in the presence of the show’s ‘version’ of Ru Paul: Brook Lynn Hytes.’

Violet also developed new skills and experience by chairing the committee of InterAct, the theatre department’s society. 

A photo of Violet in black and white polka dot costume with matching make up
Violet

‘I was involved in the rewriting of the constitution –most notably, creating a new code of conduct and adding an intimacy coordination system to be used in rehearsals and performances in order to keep actors safe and comfortable. 

I was determined to create a positive and collaborative creative space for my peers to make theatre.’ 

It’s Bristol Pride this weekend! Here is what Violet has to say about it:

‘This Saturday (9 July) is my first ever Pride! I feel so honoured to not only be able to attend but perform. It means everything to me to perform with my chosen family, my fellow Qweirdo’s, after such a successful residency at the Queenshilling. If you’d like to catch me and the rest of the House of Savalon House, head to the Get Qweird stage from 1 pm onwards! I’ll be on at the beginning.’ 

Following your creative passion can be a great way to meet new people and develop new skills alongside your studies. If you’ve been inspired by Violet’s story, why not check out some of the many SU groups you could get involved with, including Drag Society. 

And remember, experience from any year of your studies can count towards achieving the Bristol PLUS Award, including experiences during vacation periods and from anywhere in the world. You can register for PLUS when we’re back in Welcome Week! 

A pride flag image with overlaid text reading 'Pride 2022, bristol.ac.uk/pride' with the University of Bristol logo and the Bristol SU logo

Support for LGTBQ+ students and how to get involved in Bristol Pride 2022: