My COVID-19 SME Internship: Kofo –  Bristol 24/7

Kofo recently told us about her experience of using the Careers Service, including undertaking an internship with Bristol 24/7 at the end of her third year. Here she has written for us about her internship experience, which was supported by ourCOVID-19 SME Internship Fund. The aim of this fund was to support local SMEs including charities, social enterprises and start-ups, who are operating at maximum capacity as they respond to the challenges of Coronavirus, whilst giving students valuable and meaningful work experiences in a difficult economic climate. 

What was your day-to-day like? 

My time as an Editorial Intern with Bristol 24/7 has been eye-opening to say the least. Even with lockdown restrictions and completing the entire role from my home in London, the team made sure that I didn’t miss out on any of the valuable and practical aspects of the work.  

There were often days where typing alone from my makeshift office at home, that I felt very detached from the stories I was telling and the work I was producing. But having people a zoom call or message away always reminded me that we were in this together and all having to cope on our own terms.  

It taught me the value of regulating my own work and knowing when I needed help, which was always readily available to me. From the very first day I “arrived” on the scene I was writing investigative pieces, interviewing people and scheduling posts online. 

What were the challenges and what did you learn?  

It was a very demanding role and required me to be on task from start to finish to make sure that stories were being published when they were their most relevant. I enhanced my writing and note taking skills while still feeling challenged by new things. Managing social media channels, creating newsletters and editing stories on WordPress could sometimes be difficult, but it pushed me to become more productive and organised than ever before. 

What did you enjoy the most?  

The period of my internship has seen Bristol experience huge rip tides of social and political change. Being given the chance to report on important milestones in the city made me feel like my work was being valued and my voice was always being heard.  

During my time in the role, I attended mayoral press conferences, interviewed Mayor Marvin Rees and wrote pieces on legislative reform and the creative industry. Some of my proudest pieces included my piece on independent cultural venues in the city and my interview with Diana Award winner, Nasra Ayub. I was even given the opportunity to be on local radio to discuss my career and opinions. 

Above all else, I am extremely grateful for the amazing people that I worked with at Bristol 24/7. The team is small, but their influence felt so expansive and they had no trouble in bringing me into the fold. For the short period of time that I was a part of the Editorial Team, I felt welcomed and respected, the impact they have all had in my confidence as a journalist can’t be matched.

Interested in finding an internship? We are advertising work experience opportunities on mycareer. 

If you’re struggling with writing applications, you’ll find some useful resources and events here to help. 

Need more support? Ask us a question on mycareer.