At the Careers Service we know LGBTQ+ students can face additional challenges to career thinking. This may include facing discrimination in recruitment practices, and identifying inclusive and supportive workplaces.
To help level the playing field, we’ve compiled the best support and opportunities into one handy document over on mycareer.
We also send out live opportunities in our weekly Flying Start bulletin. Sign up to Flying Start now!
Here’s a taster of the support on offer…
Mentoring & Employability Events
- Bristol Mentors – learn from a Bristol graduate in your chosen sector. Opens in Spring for the following academic year.
- Inside & Out – investment banking event for early year LGBTQ+ students.
- DiversCity – annual event helping you to pursue a legal career in the City.
- TargetJobs’ LGBT+ Undergraduate of the Year Award – the winner gets unique work experience and networking opportunities.
- SME Internship Schemes – paid 4 week internships, including a source your own option. Available during term-time and holidays, full- and part-time.
- Gay Times internships for trans and non-binary youth.
- Diversity focused insight weeks (first years) – most commercial sectors, mostly open September-March for the Easter or summer holidays.
Confused about work experience? Learn more about internships and work experience.
Widening Participation Summer Blog Series
- Extra careers support for students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds
- Extra careers support for BAME students
- Extra careers support for disabled students – Coming soon!