February is a special month for those studying in the Faculty of Arts, as the Careers Service and Faculty collaborate to host the annual Faculty of Arts Careers Series, spanning four weeks from 1 to 25 February 2022.
What is the Faculty of Arts Careers Series?
The Series comprises over 20 online events to support you in exploring the career options available to you with an Arts degree. No matter what year you’re in or what stage of career planning, and regardless of whether you’re an undergraduate or postgraduate student, the Faculty of Arts Careers Series will have something for you!
Panel events are your opportunity to hear from Faculty of Arts alumni working in a wide range of fields, from marketing to charity, and publishing to Higher Education, to name just a few.
- Over the course of the Series, more than 40 alumni will be sharing their journey from university to their current career, as well as top tips for entering their field.
- There will be time for questions at the end of each panel session – this is your chance to connect with those who were in your shoes not so long ago.
- Panel events are a prime opportunity to find information about sectors and jobs that you won’t get from searching online and looking at company websites.
- Top tip: Make the most of these sessions by reading about the panellists on the events page in advance and considering what you might like to ask them.
Workshops provide an opportunity to gain more in-depth knowledge on aspects of career planning, including:
- learning more about routes available with your specific degree
- considering postgraduate study
- starting a business
- securing work with a Graduate Route Visa for international students
- strengthening your CV.
Finally, you’ll also get a chance to meet some of the regional and national employers within media and creative industries and learn about student and graduate opportunities within their organisations.
I am still unsure whether this is for me…
The Series is a great opportunity to learn more about different fields, enhance your professional network, and consider a step-by-step plan to increase your chances of getting a career in your chosen field. But don’t just take our word for it – here is what last year’s students had to say about the events:
- “I am really enjoying the series and everything that the Careers Service offers. I just started using it more this month, and I feel like I already have an edge.”
- “It has made me really excited for the future and I feel motivated to shape a brilliant career.”
- “The whole premise … was so refreshing and inspiring – it made me want to re-examine my own understanding of success and reconsider options I tend to rule myself out of as too risky or simply unattainable.”
Where do I sign up?
Sound interesting? To sign up and stay on top of all the upcoming events, go to mycareer and search for ‘Faculty of Arts Careers Series’.
To make the most out of the events on offer, make sure you sign up for the launch event: making the most of the Series.
Want to learn more about exploring career options as a student? Check out this great blog post from a fellow Faculty of Arts student.