This Spring your Careers Service is offering an extra suite of support for widening participation students, which includes:
- BAME students
- Disabled students
- Mature students
- Students who attended an aspiring school
- Students who grew up in a low income household.
We know widening participation students face additional barriers to career thinking. This may include exploring career ideas when you don’t know what’s out there, getting quality work experience with less developed networks, and facing discrimination in recruitment practices. That’s why we’ve put together a dedicated programme of support this Spring to get you career ready:
- Flying Start newsletter. Sign up for our weekly bulletin outlining equality and diversity targeted opportunities, events, and internships.
- “Help with…” group sessions and appointments. This four part series will boost your confidence in topics we know can be a struggle. Remaining in the series are “Help with… finding work this summer” and “Help with… interviews”. After a quick video outlining our top tips, jump into 45 minutes of Q&A with a team of Careers Service staff through a chat function (no camera/microphone). Then book one of our extra 1:1 appointments if you want to continue your conversation.
- SME internship appointments. Get support with applying for an internship with the SME internship scheme. This scheme offers 140 hour internships advertised on mycareer. It also offers a pot of money for you to source your own internship with a small or medium sized organisation. Book into a dedicated appointment to get support with sourcing an internship or applying to an advertised one.
- Bristol Mentors scheme. Pair up with an alumni mentor in a sector of your choice. This is a competitive scheme, so it’s a great chance to hone your application skills in a safe setting. Applications open 1 March.
- EmployAbility. We have partnered with EmployAbility, who work with employers and disabled students to remove barriers to employment and create truly inclusive workplaces. Students can register to access free, expert and impartial advice and support, including exclusive internships and individual advocacy for recruitment adjustments.
Not sure where to start? Feeling a bit overwhelmed? Drop in and chat with us on our Live Chat, Monday-Friday 9:30am-4:30pm.