TARGETjobs Undergraduate of the Year Awards – Hello Finalists!

We are excited to announce that this year, six University of Bristol students have been chosen as finalists for the TARGETjobs Undergraduate of the Year Awards!   

The TARGETjobs Undergraduate of the Year Awards is an annual competition to celebrate the best undergraduates in the UK. Each award is partnered with a graduate recruiter who offers an amazing prize for the winner, including a paid internship, trips abroad, and other exclusive opportunities.  

via GIPHY

To become finalists, students first had to complete an application, including essay-style questions and online tests. Once passing that stage, students were either invited to a telephone interview or to take part in an assessment centre.

We caught up with our six nominees to hear more about their journeys to becoming finalists.

Catherine Davies for The Management Undergraduate of the Year Award 2021

Management (BSc) Year 2 – PLUS Award achiever and SME Internship Scheme intern 

Catherine Davies

“My time in the University has aided my success in the award as throughout my degree I have been able to gain multiple skills and experiences. I have been able to develop my leadership and communication skills, through group work projects, wider learning through completing a sustainable future course as part of the Bristol PLUS Award, and also my employability skills by completing an internship last summer as part of the SME Internship Scheme. 

Jessica Slater for The Undergraduate of the Year Award for Sustainable Thinking 2021

Geography (BSc) Year 2 and Covid 19 Internship Scheme intern 

Jessica Slater

I’m currently working with Sustainabubbles CIC on a paid internship which I found through the Careers Service. I have some invaluable experience working here and learnt so much about sustainability and how a Community Interest Company operates, and this has definitely helped me receive this nomination.”

Jude D’Alesio for The First Generation Undergraduate of the Year 2021

Honours Law (LLB) Year 2 and PLUS Award achiever  

Jude D’Alesio

The PLUS Award, and the wider Careers Service, have been enormously helpful in allowing me to reach the finals of the award. It has never been in doubt that Bristol University breeds employable graduates, and with the myriad of opportunities on offer ranging from webinars to mock interviews, I now know why.”  

Megan Jenkins for The First Generation Undergraduate of the Year 2021

Geography (BSc) Year 2 and PLUS Award achiever 

Megan Jenkins

I applied to the First Generation Award as it is something myself and my family are very proud of and the application process seemed most interesting to me. The skills I’ve gained through partaking in the Careers Service talks and workshops helped me immensely throughout the application process. In particular, I did a workshop on online interview skills that was very useful. 

Simran Bassi, for The Management Undergraduate of the Year Award 2021

International Business Management and German (BA) Year 2

Simran Bassi

As a management student, I felt that this award would help me take the first steps into my career, whilst also having the chance to network and meet other students. Overall, the whole experience has given me great insight into the management field and I can’t wait to use my new skills throughout my degree and further develop them in the industry after graduating. 

Zachary Levenson for The First Generation Undergraduate of the Year 2021

Aerospace Engineering (MEng) Year 3 and PLUS Award achiever 

Zachary Levenson

I saw the award as a great opportunity to be able to share my experience as a first-generation university student. Coming from a family where my parents didn’t have the same opportunities as I did, I aim to encourage prospective students from a similar background to reap the benefits of higher education. 

The final is usually held in person in London, with only the student finalists and employer partners invited to attend. This year, the final will be held virtually with Rachel Riley as the host. So, if you want to watch our students in action, you can register here and join in the ceremony on Friday 30th April at 1 pm. 

We want to congratulate these amazing students for their great achievement of becoming a finalist and wish them immense luck at the finals on Friday 30 April. 

We have our fingers and toes crossed for you!